Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wild card Jeremy knows the score


JEREMY Koo, winner of the Malaysian Match Racing Championships, is under no illusion of his chances in the coming Monsoon Cup.

The skipper of Koo Racing Team Evernew, who will fly the Malaysian flag in the last leg of the World Match Racing Tour in Pulau Duyong on Nov 30-Dec 5, said the class difference between him and the world's top sailors is just too wide.

The 29-year-old, who beat his sister Tiffany, 26, for the wild card into the Monsoon Cup in the recent national qualifiers, said he knew it would be tough to even win a race in the Monsoon Cup.


"I was on Tiffany's crew when we took part in the 2006 and 2007 Monsoon Cups and we failed to win a single race in our first year but managed to secure one victory in the second year," said Jeremy.

"Now that I am at the helm of my own team, I will have to do everything in my power to do better than Tiffany and that means I will have to win a couple of races this time."

But Jeremy said it was easier said than done as Malaysia's representative in 2008, Nurul Ain Mohd Isa and her Perak Sailing Team, also ended the tournament without a win.


"The same thing happened to Hazwan Hazim Dermawan last year when his Taring Pelangi failed to get the better of the Monsoon Cup contenders.

"I thought Hazwan, who skippered Pulse AC Law in the national qualifiers, had a shot again this year but he was unlucky to lose to Tiffany in the semi-finals and I managed to beat Tiffany to earn the right to compete in the Monsoon Cup," he said.

However, the 2007 America's Cup Team China crew member said he might just have a few tricks up his sleeves to give the world title contenders a run for their money.


"I know that Mathieu Richard, Ian Williams, Adam Minoprio, Ben Ainslie and Peter Gilmour are all great sailors but I have raced against them before and perhaps, this time I will be able to win one or two races against them," he said. -- Zainuddin Muhammad


Source & Credits
Read more: Wild card Jeremy knows the score http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/odiuhiuZVh/Article#ixzz1499YrHHh

No comments:

Post a Comment